Day 2 – B-School Odyssey: I couldn’t complete yesterday’s targets and then read what happened – good or bad?

Before proceeding with Day 2 of my B-School Odyssey. let me give you a little background from yesterday. Okay, so from the three targets from yesterday, I could finish only one of them and I should admit that after office yesterday, I did not do anything towards my goal of getting admitted into a top-notch B-School for my MBA.

I just completed 1 hour of the GMAT Verbal video course and I shared my learning on this post of mine: My Targets for June 12, 2020 – Day 1; do check it out if you need help with Subject Verb Agreement tested on the GMAT. Well, just one hour of studying was pretty disappointing. It is also a fact that I felt quite tired after work yesterday (although we are working from home these days because of the Corona Virus pandemic) and so I just succumbed and went to bed early. So basically, I got out of bed late and went back in early!

I’m the kind of person whom someone would call as ‘Kumbkaran’ from the Ramayan because once I sleep it is nearly impossible for any outside force to wake me up – be it an alarm or dozens of alarms or my family members. Wait, I said ‘nearly impossible’ – so there’s at least some chance of me waking up. That brings me up to today morning – My deadly alarm (I’ll disclose the name only if I see your request for it in the comments section) rang at 6:15 a.m. and after dismissing it for a good 5 times in intervals of 1-2 minutes each, I finally got up to take a picture of my bathroom light switchboard (I’ve set the alarm to stop bothering me only when I get up and take a picture of my bathroom switchboard.) And because of the fact that I slept early last night, I managed somehow to start my day while my eyes were still half shut.

In order to get some screen light into my eyes (I’ve read that screen light from smartphones emit blue light which gives our brain a sensation of daylight) I decided to watch some YouTube videos. On one of the videos, just at the very beginning i.e. even before the video started, I saw a very relevant targeted ad about digital marketing, and I was hooked into it. Soon I visited the advertiser on their website as they were offering a service that I wanted (priced at $9.94 with a 30-day money-back guarantee). I was quite skeptical about the offering as I’d never purchased anything like that before and I wanted to check the legitimacy of the website owners. It was about making 6 figured income from their suggested methods.

I was already feeling disgusted about my job when extra responsibilities were given to me which were out of scope and I didn’t even get a dime extra to stretch my 9 and a half work shift to 14-hour work shift – This Corona Virus pandemic really troubled me for more than a month and a half. I hope to cover this story in some other post of mine.

So basically, I started looking on the internet about the legitimacy of the offering and soon I came across another advertisement that was about a FREE webinar into the method to mine 6-figured income. It was probably around 8:30 a.m. when…

…when I registered for the webinar to start at 11 a.m. By this time, I was completely blown away by the illusion that it is pretty easy to generate more than a $100,000+ income by doing the things these people are asking me to do. I researched more…

As I was researching, I decided to go back to the first advertiser’s website again and found some video testimonials. I was lying in the bed and soon watching the video turned to just listening to the video (or audio of the video) which in turn resulted in a power nap of almost one and a half hours. I woke up again at around 10:30 a.m. and before I could do anything else, joining the webinar at 11 a.m. became my top priority. I went to the bathroom and quickly came back in order to join the webinar on time because the person in the intro during registration said that it won’t be repeated again (now after watching the webinar, I highly doubt that and it appears more like a sales gimmick).

I literally wasted my 3 precious hours of Day 2 of my B-School Odyssey in a webinar for information that I could have gained in less than 30 minutes! The guy was just blabbering around for 1 hour in the start – gave a vague idea of the business model by just explaining a sales & marketing term in the middle for around half an hour – and finally again started blabbering about the same thing he stated during the first 1 hour plus an urge for the prospective leads to buy his product!

And this was so compelling that I just wanted to buy the offering without a second thought. It was just a lack of finances that kept me away from this purchase. Later during the day, I felt exhausted as I was trying to find free alternatives to this offering! Oh boy! Soon it was evening and I was called for help by my Mom. Definitely I couldn’t have refused her after all the time that I wasted during the day. It would have led to self-guilt if I hadn’t helped my Mom when she called me knowing that I wasted my entire day.

Time flies! Day 2 of my B-School Odyssey flew away…

The above quote is very true. Time just flew away and it was 10 p.m. when I had my dinner. There was zero GMAT or CAT preparation today and I do have a CAT (Common Admission Test) mock to take tomorrow after finishing my analysis for the previous mock.

Folks, I have zero preparation for tomorrow’s mock and though my target is to at least score 150 marks out of 300, I think scoring even 70 would be a challenge!

I got lured by the ads I saw today and though I learned about an entirely new business model (just the definitions and a little bit of inspiration), the conclusion is that I did not make anything significantly useful out of it. Going forward, I’ll make a note of such ads and will research them later when I have the bandwidth. I just hope inquisitivelearner has answers to all my questions during my B-School Odyssey…

Please do not repeat the same mistake I made today. Keep your focus.

And finally, here are my targets for tomorrow’s B-School Odyssey:

  1. Wake up between 6 and 6:30 a.m. (I think I’d always need this half an hour window to wake up)
  2. Complete morning activities – bathing, praying, exercising, etc. by 7:30 a.m.
  3. Revise and study as much as you can till 9 a.m.
  4. Finish the first set of small office tasks by 9:30 a.m. (Yes, I do have a few hours of office tomorrow on a Sunday!)
  5. Take the mock from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
  6. Have lunch by 1:30 p.m.
  7. Have a look at the office work and finish if the ball is back in my court after the other team has finished working
  8. Post office (can’t define time) analyze the mock for 9 good hours and retake the test (retaking won’t be possible in all probability – will have to postpone retaking the test to a separate time slot that would be very difficult to find)

I’ll publish my mock CAT scores here tomorrow… Stay tuned!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *